SUSTAINABLE STREET LIGHTING IN KENITRA : A DEMONSTRATION PROJECT CONTRIBUTING TO ENHANCED CAPACITY OF THE MUNICIPALITY ON SUSTAINABLE ENERGY AND TO IMPROVE ENERGY PERFORMANCE AND SAFETY IN PUBLIC AREAS OF THE CITY OF KENITRA, MOROCCO
The city Council initiated the replacement of the current lighting systems by starting a demonstration project in Saknia, a densely populated district of Kenitra characterized by unsafe streets and outdated lighting. According to the full application proposal, this project entails the provision of 3,450 light points replaced with energy efficient LED lighting in the district of Saknia and a tele-management control system connecting 8000 light points.
Global Objective: To enhance the capacity of the municipality of Kenitra on sustainable energy solutions and to improve energy performance
- To increase energy efficiency, achieve energy savings and CO2 reduction by. implementing LED based street lighting in Saknia district.
- To increase knowledge and practical experience of the municipality on sustainable energy projects in public areas. To improve safety and social engagement and increase economic activities in the evening
- To raise awareness on sustainable energy actions and to deliver best practice for project roll-out
- At least 1,400 light points at the main streets and 2,050 points at squares and smaller streets in Saknia are replaced by LED lighting, 67 centralized street lighting control devices are installed connecting 8,000 light points for monitoring and controlling through tele-management system.
- The capacity of the municipality to formulate and implement sustainable energy projects and to sustainable energy projects and to sustainability maintain the new LED based system in increased
- The awareness of Kenitra’s inhabitants on sustainable energy policies and actions increased and project results are made accessible to stakeholders.
- An action plan for project roll-out to other districts of Kenitra and a bankable blueprint to enable replicability in other municipalities is available
- Cost of the project : 1 269 158 Euros
- European Union : 999 999 Euros (78.79%)
- Municipality of Kenitra : 269 159 Euros (21.21%)
- Duration of realization of the project : 24 months
- Mr. Abdellatif Boucetta | General Director of Kenitra Municipality | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | P: +212 537 311 518 / +212 537 371 879