36 months later, over 300 participants trained in 7 needs oriented trainings delivered, more than 30 technical assistance field visits and more than 11.000 people reached through social networks, SUDEP South will present its outcomes, success stories and regional strategy for Energy Efficiency and Renewable energy to the Beirut Energy Forum next 18-20 September. During the three days of this International Conference, SUDEP South will be hosting a stand showcasing the efforts done by the twelve participating municipalities towards becoming smarter and greener cities. We are happy and proud to kindly invite you to pass by to share with our team your experiences or comments.
SUDEP South will actively participate in several sessions:
- ‘Session 9: Il Mare Nostrum: Fostering the Euro-Med Cooperation’: on Tuesday 19th September at 1500h, SUDEP South Team Leader, Naceur Hammami, will present the project’s methodology “Cities and Climate Actions: stories From the Field”. SUDEP South leitmotiv: Towards Smarter and Greener cities will be displayed from practice to policy. The opening statement of this Trans Mediterranean cooperation will be made by Irene Mingasson, Head of Unit Regional Cooperation Neighborhood South, and DG Near, European Commission. This session will take place at Pearl Conference Room and the access is open to the public.
- ‘Session 14: Shine, Shine Like a Star!’: on Wednesday 20th September at 1500h, SUDEP South M&V expert, Ismail Al Hinti, will present SUDEP’s success stories through the “Regional Strategy for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy in the Mediterranean Cities”. The outcomes of SUDEP South will be combined with the importance of communication and visibility through different regional media actors. This session will take place at Pearl Conference Room and the access is open to the public.
- Closing Event of the EU‐ Funded SUDEP Project in Ardeh’: on Tuesday 19th September at 1100h, Ardeh, one of the four SUDEP South participating municipalities in Lebanon is celebrating its closing event. The outputs and results (up to a 20 % reduction of the municipal energy costs) of this EU initiative in coordination with the RMF will be presented to the participating authorities: Lebanese Minister of Energy and Water, EU Delegation and local authorities. This session will take place at the Azurea Conference Room
The SUDEP-South project began in early 2015 with 12 cities in 6 countries of the southern Mediterranean. The objective of the SUDEP Programme is to assist local authorities in responding to the sustainable energy challenges and to enable them to implement sustainable energy actions leading to energy savings, energy efficiency and more use of renewable energy sources such as solar energy.
SUDEP support mechanism activities are mainly focused on:
- Assistance to local authorities and reinforcing their capacities and their partners in the implementation of the demonstration projects.
- Promotion for the replication of innovative actions and the visibility of the programme’s results.
- Creation of an enabling environment for the exchange of good practices between project beneficiaries.
- And finally the development of their own local strategies to ensure widespread dissemination and sustainability of their projects.